I don’t know about you guy, but when it comes to sleep I am not always the best at keeping a routine. Whenever I start to get into a bad sleep schedule everything is thrown off. First of all I am a morning person, so when I don’t get to bed on time, aka ten o’clock I’m a mess.
I know that my body can make it for about a week of bad sleep habits and then it doesn’t know what to do anymore. This results in feeling sleepy at five pm, craving all the chocolate then eating all the chocolate, staying up till midnight, lying awake for another hour, forcing myself to wake up early to work out and then starting the whole cycle over again (Takes huge breath*)…As you can see it’s not that conducive to a healthy mind or body.
When this happens the results have a negative impact on my day to day life as well as my health. I start to look at workouts like they are beyond my capabilities and not worth the effort. Compensation for the lack of energy comes in the form of eating turning to richer and higher carb meals I would usually avoid. Since I work a nine to five I need the time in the evening to get some personal things done, but am at that point running low on energy. This influences me to eat more and also to eat chocolate which has a lot of caffeine. This wakes me up and keeps me up until about midnight or later. After that the whole cycle begins again and tends to be a discouragement.
I’m pretty sure that just by reading this you can perfectly define the word crazy because every time I put myself in a bad sleep habit I expect a different result. There are so many situations that can end like this, and in all honesty if my biggest problem is sleep, then so be it. At the same time I want to be able to jump back and regain good habits because it helps set the course for the big things in life.
And so in light of the fact that my sleep habits need to be cleaned up a bit here is some of my favorite ways to make for a better night sleep!
· About an hour before bed treat yourself to caffeine free tea. My favorite is Rooibos! Oh, and skip on the sugar, you don’t want anything stimulating before bed.
· Turn off all bright lights and use soft yellow light such as salt lamps or twinkle lights.
· Wash face & Brush teeth with warm water.
· Use lavender oil on your face, neck, pillow or diffuser. I like to use it on my face as a moisturizer by diluting 1-2 drops with almond oil.
· Read a book and skip on the screen time. If I do watch a show or use my phone I make sure to give myself at least 30 minutes before bed that is screen free.
· Chose something to pamper yourself. One of my favorite ways to pamper myself is to put balm on my feet. It offers a quick massage and allows me to relax, especially since my job requires for me to stand all day.
· Drink 8oz of water right before bed. If you are dehydrated your body will actually struggle to fall asleep and who really loves the feeling of waking up in the middle of the night to dying of thirst anyway?
Hopefully these tips will help you improve your sleep habits! Let me know what you think and what are some of your favorite ways to unwind and relax for bed!
Thanks again for reading,