I don’t know about you, but I like to do things my own way. I don’t like to depend on others or follow exact directions and therefore when it comes to blindly going into the grocery store to buy over priced items, I am not the biggest fan. This is not to say I do not buy groceries, but I like to enjoy the little victories off a non-conformist.
My most recent victory, was creating my own sunflower butter! I had grown tired of purchasing $10 jars of almond butter or going the cheap rout and getting peanut butter which I learned upsets my stomach.
Arrivederci Peanut Butter!
Due to my frustration I decided to try out sunflower seed butter. It ended up being cheap and didn’t upset my stomach, but unfortunately they all tasted like off. To add to my frustration the only ones that tasted good had sugar or was 45 minutes away at different grocery store.
This brings me to my creating the first batch of sunflower butter ala Sonya!
Here’s the ingredient list,
· Raw Sunflower seeds
Here’s what you need
· Powerful blender or food processor
And that’s it…
To make said sunflower butter all you have to do is…
· Preheat your oven to 350 Fahrenheit.
· Place the sunflower seeds on a large baking sheet. I use enough to cover the whole sheet, about 1 &1/2 cups to 2 cups.
· Place in oven and toast for about 12 minutes.
SIDE NOTE: You can skip roasting the sunflower seeds if you buy them pre roasted. Just make sure to check the ingredients. There can be added things like canola oil or salt.
· Let cool for about an hour and then blend away! This should take about 5 minutes depending on the blender.
· Place in an airtight container, but don’t forget to take a sneaky taste!
Overall, if I buy my sunflower seeds in bulk I can get about 2 jars of sunflower butter for only $5. Not only is it cheap and easy, it tastes delicious and you get the joy of knowing exactly what’s in your food!
Let me know how you liked the recipe or if you have any questions!
Thanks and hope you have a lovely time saving money and showing the non-conformist in you some love!